Sunday, January 11, 2009

essay 1 final draft

Finding your passion

I believe that finding your niche in life is one of the most rewarding accomplishments life can offer. Some people have many, whether its a hobby, a job, a role someone plays in their family as a mother or father, cooking, writing, sports, you name it, there is no other accomplishment that can bring you this much joy all of your life. It doesn't matter as long as one is interested in it and finds it rewarding to explore the possibilities of elevating their skill. Growing up I've noticed that everyone in my life has always had something they enjoy with all of their being, no matter how old they are. Observing others with such a niche, and acquiring my own has taught me that, no matter how many years or how much time per week a person spends indulging in their special interest, they always enjoy every minute of it.

"Amber, you have to keep your thumb up, right leg back and arm straight when you release the ball!" this is a quote that I’ve heard every other weekend since I was about six years old, from my grandma. It may not seem familiar to some but to me, I recognize this as the perfect stance for bowling. My grandma had been bowling on a league twice a week since she was in her twenties, so its only natural for her to give such advice to anyone that accompanies her to the bowling alley. My grandma continues to bowl till this day; she is currently eighty-six and plays on a league with a people of all ages. After bowling for sixty-six years, a person may think that she might have gotten tired of the sport, but that is defiantly not the case. Seeing how devoted to the game she is, and how happy she gets when my family watches her bowl, is proof to me that once a person finds their niche they don’t just get tired and move on. It is something that brings a person unlimited enjoyment that can last a lifetime.

My sister Lisa is another family member that I admire for finding her interest and progressing it to many levels. Lisa came across her niche in the form of singing, in the school musical "Annie" during the sixth grade. Every day as her and I got ready for school in our bedroom I would hear her rehears her part as Ms.Hanigan. She sang her songs on the way to school, after school, at dinner, before we went to sleep, every chance she got to perform she never missed a second. Hearing a twelve-year-old girl singing her heart out every minuet of the day wasn’t as fun as it sounds, but she really enjoyed it. Now Lisa is nineteen and has been taking voice lessons once a week ever since. She has progressed her interest so far that now most of what we hear is in the form of Italian opera, and much more easier on the ears. Listening to my sister sing all these years, and going to her performances, has given me insight to how happy finding a niche can make a person. Not only has she taken her singing ability from one end of the spectrum to the other, but also she has enjoyed every minute of it, which to me is the most important aspect.

Have you ever watched a middle school girl’s team play basketball? Well their not that great. They have a lot of fun playing but the score doesn’t get to high and the kids can hardly dribble the ball. This is pretty much how I started out playing basketball but since then me and the team has been playing for the past couple years for our high school girl’s varsity team. The first time I played in a basketball game I was hooked. I loved the crowd, the intensity, competition, and the bond between the players. Sharing the same passion with a group of friends is really what got me into the game. I’ve been playing basketball with the same group of friends for about five or more years and every day work on progressing to a higher level. Finding my niche has brought me a lot of enjoyment and close friendships. My passion is very important to me and is something that I will continue in as long as I can.

Experiencing what I’m good at, and what I enjoy in life, also by viewing those around me do the same in thier own lives, has taught me that acquiring a niche is the thing that will bring the most joy to a persons life. Some one may move from one interest to another with age but eventually everyone finds what their proud of. A person doesn’t necessarily look for this calling but eventually it is found, which in my life has been the most rewarding accomplishments life can offer.

3 comments:

  1. I like your topic, and I agree that everyone has that one thing in life that they will always love and never tire of.

    I think that your writing is strong, but I would take a little time to check your transitions between paragraphs so that everything flows nicely.

    I like the way you explained in detail and you were able to keep my focus easily.

    Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good essay! by far the best I've read so far.

    Biggest thing to work on would be going through your paper again and taking out any unnecessary comma's and periods. There are quite a few run-on sentences that go on for four lines or more. Try to cut them down by replacing a few key words and comma's.

    I can feel your passion in the subject through your choice of words, and you give great examples. If you turned this in without any changes I'd give it a strong B. If you can change a little sentence structure around however, it would definitely be an A. Keep up the good work!

    Nick Fletcher

    ReplyDelete
  3. The organization is really weird to me. I feel like we're jumping from telling to showing to telling.

    DON'T TELL the reader...create a picture for the reader. SHOW.

    Again, as we discussed in class, focus on ONE example instead of multiple ones. Develop that ONE so that it leaves the reader learning something from YOUR experience/ life.

    ReplyDelete