Thursday, January 29, 2009

final edited 2nd rough draft

A man of many marvels


The way I came upon my hero was through an experience I had when I was in the sixth grade, up untill the summer before ninth grade. As a kid I was the typical tom boy. I played a lot of sports so most of my closest friends were boys. One in particular was my friend Levi. Our friendship began in the sixth grade and were even better friends in middle school. This is who I met my hero through, Levi's step dad. His name was Mark. Mark was the rock of the family. He was a kind, caring, fun, sensitive person, who was always there for anyone Mark sensed needed him. He had a welcoming appearance like a big teddy bear, whose smile could warm the heart of any person. I was quickly swept up and in admiration at how amazing and lucky this family was for having a person like this in their lives. Mark played an important role in my life. Ive never had a good relationship with my dad. So I lacked the father figure that is essential in a girls life. Mark filled this void and was always there for me. Mark shaped the way I think of heroes. Among many other things a hero is loving, supporting and inspiring.

Some of the ways Mark demonstrated being loving was by including me in his family, and treating me like a daughter. Soon after I met Levi's family, we all became very close. I was surprised to find that his family liked me as much as I liked them. Over a short period of time Marks family became my second family. They invited me to all sorts of family functions. Whether it was a family dinner, a day trip, a vacation or even just watching a movie, or going to a concert. I was always included. I felt loved and welcome when ever I was with the family, especially by Mark. He would always offer a hug or a comforting word when ever I came around. He was like the father I wished I had, and treated me like one of his own children. I remember one time in-particular that really made me feel loved; We were at a huge dinner with twenty or thirty of their close family members and friends. Mark walked around the house and introduced me as his long lost daughter. He told every one we talked to about how I was "the new addition to the family" and many other things that made my heart swell with emotion. It was actions like this and how I was included in the family as one of their own that always made me feel loved. This is what made Mark such a big part of my life, and why I consider him my hero.

Another reason for Mark being my hero was how he always believed in me and supported me. I remember one time in-particular that demonstrated this point. I had spent the day with Levi's family and was getting ready to leave. As I walked into the kitchen Mark started a conversation with me about what I wanted to do after high school. I remember telling him I knew I wanted to go to college but wasn't sure which one yet. As our conversation went on, Mark said something that has stuck with me over the years. "You can do anything you set your mind to, you're smart and persistent. Any help I can give you I will, I'll always be there to help and support you." He said these words with a big smile and a hug. I remember him encouraging me about going to college and saying how he would always be there to talk to when I needed him. It was things like this that made him a supporting pillar in my life. No matter what we were doing, Mark always had time to talk to me and encourage me.

Like I mentioned, being inspiring is also one of the qualities that I think defines a hero. Mark inspired me in numerous ways. I admired the way he treated others, and how he was always able to make time for family. I admired how he treated others for many reasons. He always said positive things, and was welcoming to everyone. This is something that has inspired me to do the same to others in my life. The thing I found most inspiring was the time he made for family. I can literally remember every time I spent with him and the family. Mark always made time. Every Friday was family night. I can remember every dinner, boat or snowboarding day trip, every vacation. And most important just spending time at the house with one another. This is inspiring to me because it has taught me how important family is and how it can impact a persons life. This lesson is something I will implement latter in life when I start a family of my own.

My hero Mark passed away in July of 2006 from a heart attack, he was 49 years old. Losing Mark was the hardest thing Ive ever gone through. The time I spent with him created a closer relationship then I had with my own father. I was lucky to have been able to spend the best three years of my life with him and his family. It is unbelievable to me that anyone could impact my life in the way that he did. I am grateful for the time I spent with him in my life. A person like Mark is hard to come by. Mark will always be my hero even though he has passed. Because although he might physically have gone his memory will be with me forever. Having a loving, supporting, inspiring person like Mark has changed my life forever. I'm thankful to have him as my hero

No comments:

Post a Comment