Sunday, January 25, 2009

pre write for peer review.

"You can do anything you set your mind to, your smart and persistent, any help I can give you I will, Ill always be there to help and support you." This is a quote from some one who graced my life that I now view as my hero. I used to think of a hero as being super strong, powerful and overall physically invincible. In other words a super hero is someone who saves the day and can't be defeated.This was until I met an actually real life hero. This gave me a more personal view as to what a hero really is. This person showed me that a hero is loving, supporting and inspiring and most of all invincible, but not in the common sense.

The way I came to this sentiment is through an experience I had when I was in sixth grade up to the summer before the ninth grade. Growing up I was the girl that played with the boys, rough housed with my brothers and dominated in the recess games at school. Most of my closest friends were boys, one in particular was my friend Levi. We started being Friends in sixth grade and were even better friends in middle school. This is who I met my hero through,levi's step dad. His name was Mark. Mark was the rock of the family. He was a kind, caring, fun, sensitive person, who was always there for anyone he sensed needed him. He had a welcoming appearance like a big Teddy bear, his smile could warm the heart of any person. I was quickly swept up and in admiration at how amazing and lucky this family was for having a person like this in their lives. Mark shaped the way I think of heroes, like a said before a hero, among other things is loving, supporting and inspiring.

One of the ways that Mark demonstrated being loving was by including me in his family, and treating me like a daughter. After the first moment I met the family it was like I had found something I had been missing my whole life and never noticed. I quickly found my self being invited to every family function whether it was a dinner, a day trip, a vacation or even just watching a movie or going to a concert, I was always included. I always felt loved and welcome when ever I was with the family especially by Mark. He would always offer a hug or a comforting word when ever I came around. He was like the father I wish I had, and treated me like one of his own children. I remember one time in-particular that really made me feel loved. We were at a huge dinner with around twenty or thirty of their close family members and friends. Mark walked around the house and introduced me as his long lost daughter. He told every one we talked to about how I was "the new addition to the family" and many other things that made my heart swell with emotions. It was things like this and how I was included in the family as one of their own that always made me feel loved. This is what made Mark such a big part of my life, and why i consider him my hero.

Another reason for mark being my hero was how he always believed in me and supported me. I remember one time in-particular that demonstrated this point. I had spent the day with Levi's family and was getting ready to leave. As I walked into the kitchen Mark started a conversation with me about what I wanted to do after high school. I remember telling him I knew I wanted to go to college but wasn't sure which one yet. As our conversation went on Mark said something that has stuck with me over the years. "You can do anything you set your mind to, your smart and persistent, any help I can give you I will, Ill always be there to help and support you."
He said these words with a big smile and a hug. I remember him encouraging me about going to college and saying how he would always be there to talk to when I needed him. It was things like this that made him a supporting pillar in my life and how no matter what we were doing he always had time to talk to me and encourage me.

Like I mentioned, being inspiring is one of the qualities that I think defines a hero. Mark inspired me in numerous ways. I admired the way he treated others, also how he was always able to make family time. I say that I admired how he treated others for many reasons. He always said positive things, and was welcoming to everyone. This is something that has inspired me to do the same to others in my life. The thing I found most inspiring was the time he made for family. I can literally remember every time I spent with him and the family. Mark always made time. Every Friday was family night. I can remember every dinner, boat or snowboarding day trip, every vacation, and most important just chillin at the house spending time with one another. This is inspiring to me because it has taught me the importance of family. This is a lesson I will in turn incorporate when I start a family of my own later in life.


My hero Mark passed away in July of 2006 from a heart attack, he was 49 years old. I was lucky to have been able to spend the best three years of my life with him and his family. As I began this paper it was hard for me to grasp what I thought a hero was. My original idea being that of a super hero, has changed considerable. I used to think a hero out of many things invincible, untouchable. I know know that a hero among many things is loving, supporting, inspiring and above all invincible. This may seem unclear but to me it is crystal. My meaning of the word invincible has changed, I used to think of it as physically invincible. I now think of it as an invincible memory. Mark will continue to be my hero even though he has passed. Because although he might physically have gone his memory will be with me for ever. Having a loving, supporting, inspiring person like Mark has changed my life forever. I'm thankful to have him as my hero.

(lots of spelling errors, its just a rough draft)

4 comments:

  1. I found this essay to be very touching. You described Mark pretty well.
    I also liked the fact that he changed your original definition of a hero and that you included it in the essay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned from my last essay that you should never use a quote in your beginning sentence or thesis. So try a think of something using your own words. You have a few grammar errors, dont capitilize friends and make a space after through, and levi.At the end of the second sentence i think you meant to say like I said instead of like a said.Overall, very enjoyable essay to read. I like your style of writing and the real life situations that you added. I like how you showed how you use to view a hero and how you now view a hero. otherwise just fix a few of your grammar errors and your good to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see your thesis on your first paragraph that hero is loving, supporting and inspiring and most of all invincible, but not in the common sense. And the hero is Mark. I really like your story and it is really touching. Your essay is easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked your story.
    I think the only thing you need is to edit it.

    ReplyDelete